Week Three – Make do

Making Do

After last week’s shenanigans I’ve been making up for lost time and have undertaken lots of new projects this week. My favourite is this towel hoodie I’ve made for Penny for the summer season.

toweltastictoweltastic 2

I got the pattern (baja hoodie) off www.gotopatterns.com and bought a beach towel in a charity shop for the grand sum of £1. I’ve been trying to get a towel hoodie on ebay for ages but any that look half decent seem to cost £15 upwards. When my own huge bath towel cost less than half of that, I felt it was time to get the sewing machine out!

I haven’t followed a proper pattern in a really long time. I’m not a great one for making things from scratch. I really enjoy altering and up cycling so this was kind of new for me. The pattern was thankfully easy to follow, (although I did make a couple of mistakes) but overall I’m really pleased with how it turned out. If you decide to do something similar my only piece of advice would be to make sure you double stitch any seams as terry towelling is a bit of a demon to keep together once you cut it!

My whole week has revolved around various make do projects, which is lovely! I made some pretty nifty bathroom baskets out of a pair of old jeans and fabric ends which were otherwise going to the scrap. I followed this tutorial and they turned out great. The possibilities for extending this idea are endless I think! I’m going to search for a pair of wide legged jeans so I can make bigger ones next time.

jeans basket

I was really stuck on wednesday for extra drying space after doing a massive amount of laundry. I find it hard to juggle all of Penny’s stuff with our own washing. I find all the little things like muslin clothes and the washable bamboo wipes take up the bulk of drying space. So I came up with some new dryers for these things and best of all it was really really cheap to do.

Take one coat hanger. (It needs to be one with the little hooks for clothes ribbons.) Tie string/ribbon/t shirt yarn from one side to the other, taking care to double knot it to prevent laundry all over the floor. Add some pegs and Voila! Personally I used t shirt yarn as that’s what I had lying about and it works beautifully!

hangars

photo 4

 

 

 

 

 

 

As well as these projects I’ve also been working on a millennium falcon star wars cake for Russell’s birthday, a tunic dress for Penny and a scandi print cushion cover – all of which I’ll have to post another time as they are still in progress.

I wish you all a lovely weekend and hope you may have found some inspiration for your own make do and mend projects

Happy Friday

Jessica x

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s