Ah hello my beautiful loaf cake.
I’ve tried loaf cakes before but often experienced the dense soggyness of disappointment. Not this time, this vegan banana cake came out with a beautiful texture and lightness. Yum nom nom.
Let’s get started!
You will need:
2 overripe large bananas
½ average sized courgette grated finally
75g coconut oil (or vegetable oil if you prefer)
75g brown sugar
225g self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
handful of chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Mash bananas well. Grate courgette straight into the bowl and then mix well with the oil and sugar.
- Fold in flour, baking powder and spices and then the chopped nuts if you are including these.
- Pour mixture into your lined loaf tin. I like to sprinkle pumpkin seeds on the top for added crunch and joy. You can omit these or sprinkle with a topping of your choice.
- Bake for 20 mins initially. Remove from oven and cover with tin foil to prevent the top from burning. Bake for further 40-50 mins until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 mins before removing from tin and leave to cool completely on a rack or on top of the tin. (Alternatively lose all self control and immediately slice and devour.) Tastes excellent by itself or even better with a generous slab of soya spread.
There you have it, super easy, delicious and earth friendly vegan loaf cake.
Have a great week