I know it’s been a really long time since I posted anything newsy or projecty, so here comes the new years resolution of catching up with it all! I have got a good reason though I promise. As well as the general hullaballoo of just having opened the shop, I also found out I was pregnant in November and I’ve been struggling with fatigue and the dreaded morning yuck. But it seems the corner is turning and I’m feeling a bit more myself again!
SO Happy new year to all my lovely readers. As a treat for your well earned patience here’s a photo montage of my latest collection of accessories. I hope you enjoy and I’ll catch you on the blogosphere again v.soon!
Blue Velvet cuff with Cameo and aqua gems
Blue velvet background with pearl and marcasite jewellery statement alice band
Blue Velvet sets off this reloved marcasite brooch beautifully on this statement alice band
Blue and pearl resin brooch reloved into this cute hair comb covered in mushroom ribbon
Collection of handmade combs, some are buttons some are vintage jewellery but all are unique
1950’s necklace reloved into a 1920’s style hair piece, looks awesome with a flapper dress
Handmade felt brooches, all made with offcuts and end of roll trims to prevent wastage.
Ages and ages agoI bought this old battered sewing box on legs from a boot sale. It was a bit of a silly buy because it’s quite large but I just really really liked it. Think of it as the craftaholic’s unnecessary purchase. Much like those shoes that sit in the box forever because they just didn’t quite fit the way they should.
Damn.No matter which way I looked at this silly box I couldn’t make it fit in the studio properly, plus it was a bit battered and I couldn’t get to my sewing tools easily. BUT I did need a new display for Deco Paste for the Autumn season of craft events. HELLOsolution.
1.) one extremely bulky & quite battered sewing box
2.) a multitude of paints
3.) screwdriver and brute force
4.) peacock stamp
5.) Velvet fabric
6.) hot glue
First I dismantled the box,drawer by drawer. This required one husband, one screwdriver and brute force. As the screws were quite rusted some of them practically fell out and some of them needed. . .persuasion.
2. Then using a scouring pad, I scuffed up all the paintwork on the drawers, this made sure the paint would take.
3.) Then I painted all the boxes in different hand mixed metallic colours. All inspired by the lovely peacock feather.
4.) Once all the frames of the boxes were painted in my nice bright colours, I painted all the insides black.
5.) Then I stamped them all over the outside with my super Peacock stamp which is normally used for business packages. (I couldn’t get a good photograph of this detail though so I’ve included a picture of the stamp on my labels to give you an idea of how it looks.)
6.) Then I changed my mind about the black insides as it just seemed to hard and decided fabric would give a softer finish. Hello sexy old blue velvet fabric. Hello hot glue burns on my wrist. But it was worth it, I’m really pleased that I have managed to make a stall display that reflects the personality of me as a designer and I didn’t spend a penny! BRILLO PADS.
Hope you enjoyed reading this project as much as I enjoyed making it, see you next week for project 12 in Re-Loved 52